Family and Personal:
Sen. Akbari is an attorney.
She is a member of Leadership Council for 2017, The Council of State Governments, Democratic Party of Shelby County, Shelby County Young Democrats, Democratic Women of Shelby County, NAACP, and Memphis Urban League Young Professionals.
Councils and Boards:
She serves as the Democratic Caucus Chairman of the TN General Assembly. She is State Leader of Women in Government. She is Chair of the Tennessee Black Caucus of State Legislators and Co-chair of Interbranch Affairs Committee, The Council of State Governments and the Committee on Children, Youth and Families, National Black Caucus of State Legislators. She is also Financial Secretary of the National Organization of Black Elected Legislative Women and Treasurer of the National Black Caucus of State Legislators.
Sen. Akbari followed the Democrat party line and voted against bills chosen for education reform, medical freedom, second amendment rights, fiscal responsibility, governmental transparency, election integrity, and constitutional fidelity. Sen. Akbari earned a vote score of 14% and a leadership grade of D based on her sponsorships and other meritorious or deleterious actions.
Here are some of the bills Sen. Akbari supported:
• HB0204/SB0136 The Crown Act- protecting ethnic hairstyles in the workplace. [Passed]
• HB1201/SB1005 Changes in campaign finance giving advantage to incumbents; limiting freedom of speech. [Passed]
• HB1944/SB1944 porn in libraries, criminal offense Amended [Failed in S. Judiciary]
• HB2309/SB2464 Allows professional licenses for illegal immigrants in Tennessee. [Passed]
• HB2331/SB2558 Auditable paper trail voting machines. [Passed]
• HB2609/SB2890 Cincinnati Reds 80% tax-break for Chattanooga farm team. [Passed]
• HB2666/SB2247 Requires Textbook Commission to provide a list of approved material to GA members. [Passed]
• HB2886/SB2901 Provides $500M for Titans to build new stadium. [Passed]
• HB8002/SB8002 Provides $678,218,300 of taxpayer money for Ford to build an electric vehicle plant in W. TN. [Passed]
Here are some of the TLRC-endorsed bills Sen. Akbari opposed:
• HB1137/SB1197 No restrictions on church activities in declared emergency. [Passed]
• HB1749/SB2285 Court decisions de novo, not based on a state agency’s interpretation. [Passed]
• HB1867/SB1823 Vaccine exemptions protected. [Passed]
• HB1871/SB1982 Recognition that natural immunity is equal or superior to vaccine. [Passed]
• HB2128/SB2245 Election integrity measures. [Passed]
• HB2316/SB2153 No males in girls’ sports. [Passed]
• HB2454/SB2292 Redefines “obscene” to include educational material in K-12 making it unlawful. [Passed]
• HB2742/SB2728 Requires public high schools to teach virtues of capitalism and constitution. [Passed]
Democrat ideas and policies do not correspond with the TN or US constitutions. They do little to advance the well-being of their constituents or the population in general. They would do well to examine the motives of those by whom they are guided.