Ron M Gant
Family and Personal:
Rep. Gant is married with two children and is an insurance agent.
He is a member of the Somerville Rotary, FBI Citizens Academy, and NRA.
Councils and Boards:
He is House Majority Assistant Floor Leader.
Representative Ron Gant (R) has served in the Tennessee State House since 2017. Representative Gant has a vote score of 63%, placing him #58-61 (ties) in a body of 99. His leadership grade of C places him at #29. Leadership grades are based on sponsorships, co-sponsorships, amendments, both meritorious (+) and deleterious (-), and other bold and courageous acts (+) or furtive, unprincipled acts (-).
TLRC scores and grades reflect the entire process, not just end results. We count every vote on every selected bill. Bills are selected for their value to ordinary Tennesseans, or their insult to those values. We encourage our General Assembly members to support the former and oppose the latter. When they don’t, they lose points.
Representative Gant supported the following TLRC endorsed bills:
- HB1137/SB1197 – No restrictions on church activities in declared emergency
- HB1749/SB2285 – Court decisions de novo, not based on a state agency’s interpretation
- HB1871/SB1982 – Recognition that natural immunity is equal or superior to vaccine
- HB1960/SB1884 – No government vaccine mandates
- HB2128/SB2245 – Election integrity measures. (weak)
- HB2316/SB2153 – No males in girls’ sports
- HB2331/SB2558 – Auditable paper trail voting machines
- HB2454/SB2292 – Redefines “obscene” to include educational material in K-12 making it unlawful
- HB2742/SB2728 – Requires HS to teach virtues of capitalism and the constitution
- HB2746/SB2188 – Makes Ivermectin available over the counter
Here is a TLRC-opposed bills that Representative Gant also opposed:
- HB0204/SB0136 The Crown Act- protecting ethnic hairstyles in the work place
A TLRC-supported bill that Representative Gant opposed:
- HB2067/SB2189 – Would reduce number of votes necessary to keep a minor party on ballot. https://tennesseestar.com/2021/03/16/state-house-subcommittee-rejects-bill-lowering-signature-requirement-to-recognize-minor-political-parties-in-tennessee/
TLRC-opposed bills that Representative Gant supported:
- HB1201/SB1005Changes in campaign finance giving advantage to incumbents; limiting freedom of speech. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pK5Ov35oRxI
- HB2309/SB2464 – Allows professional licenses for illegal immigrants in Tennessee. https://tennesseestar.com/2022/04/13/tennessee-general-assembly-may-enable-illegal-immigrants-to-acquire-commercial-and-professional-licenses/
- HB2886/SB2901 – Provides $500M for Titans to build new stadium
- HB8002/SB8002 – Provides $678,218,300 of taxpayer money for Ford to build an electric vehicle plant in W. TN
Corporate welfare in all forms should be opposed. Our state government should not be giving economic advantages to any public or private for-profit entities. Let the free market pick the winners and losers. Jobs would come to Tennessee if we were to actually reform our education system and educate instead of indoctrinate. A well-educated workforce would be unique in America and every business would want to be in our right-to-work, no income tax state. Members should rethink these handouts.
Representative Gant should always fight against bigger government and for constitutional principles. We need principled members to battle against government expansion, to protect our tenth amendment rights, and to make good policy decisions for ordinary Tennesseans by Tennesseans. We are in crisis. We can and must do better.
By listing these bills, we hope that tells you what you need to know about your General Assembly members. We encourage you to reach out and let them know how you feel about the various issues and VOTE accordingly. To contact members, go to: https://www.capitol.tn.gov