Family and Personal:
Rep. Garrett is married with three children and is an attorney.
He is a member of the Hendersonville Morning Rotary Club, the Republican Party of Sumner County, Hendersonville Chamber of Commerce, Goodlettsville Chamber of Commerce, the Tennessee Bar Association, and the Sumner County Bar Association.
Councils and Boards:
He is President of the Goodlettsville Little League Baseball and Co-Founder of the 100 Club of Sumner County, Inc. He also serves as Board Member of Salvus Center, Inc., Vol State Community College Foundation, COMPASS, and Forward Sumner Economic Partnership.
Rep. Johnny Garrett-(R) Coming to the House in 2019, this Goodlettsville Republican is eloquent and appears confident. He does not chair a committee but does sit on the important Civil Justice and Finance, Ways, & Means committees. Garrett’s vote score of 91% is not bad, but sixty-eight members scored higher. He scored well on most of the leadership characteristics like courtesy, courage, perseverance, preparedness, intuitivism, and eloquence.
His constitutionality was split. We like that he:
• Supported the lifetime prohibition of CDL licensing for sex or human traffickers
• Real Constitutional Carry
• The resolution to study the possibility of recalling a rogue Davidson County Judge
• The Increase of penalties for various lawless activities when protesting/rioting
Contrary to the judgement of TLRC, however, he opposed:
• The review of presidential executive orders for constitutionality and denial of implementation in TN.
• Tax exemptions for the film and video industry
• A resolution declaring racism as a public health issue
• A mandate for insurers to cover infertility treatments
• A bill that will provide a multi-million-dollar state funding grant for a proposed minor league baseball stadium for the Tennessee Smokies, a double-A team which is owned by University of Tennessee President Randy Boyd.
TLRC opposed all of those measures on fairness, constitutional, and fiscal-responsibility principles. In the end, he is in the middle of the pack with a B+ on leadership. We hope to be instrumental in the improvement of both accounts in 2022.