Family and Personal:
Rep. Carringer is married with two children and three grandchildren and works in advertising. She is also a member of Sevier Heights Baptist Church.
She is a member of the Akima Club of Knoxville, the NRA, North Knoxville Business and Professionals, Powell Business and Professionals, Delta, Delta Mom’s Club, and Powell Republican Club.
Councils and Boards:
She is a board member of the Metro Drug Coalition, East Tennessee Epilepsy Foundation, and Three Ridges Golf Course. She is secretary for Fountain City Lions Club, the Vice President of Fountain City Company, and is the House Republican Caucus Secretary.
Representative Michelle Carringer (R) has a vote score of 63%, placing her #58-61 (ties) in a body of 99. Her leadership grade of D places her at #44. Leadership grades are based on sponsorships, co-sponsorships, amendments, both meritorious (+) and deleterious (-), and other bold and courageous acts (+) or furtive, unprincipled acts (-).
TLRC scores and grades reflect the entire process, not just end results. We count every vote on every selected bill. Bills are selected for their value to ordinary Tennesseans, or their insult to those values. We encourage our General Assembly members to support the former and oppose the latter. When they don’t, they lose points.
Representative Carringer supported the following TLRC endorsed bills:
- HB1137/SB1197 – No restrictions on church activities in declared emergency
- HB1749/SB2285 – Court decisions de novo, not based on a state agency’s interpretation
- HB1867/SB1823 – Vaccine exemptions protected
- HB1871/SB1982 – Recognition that natural immunity is equal or superior to vaccine
- HB2067/SB2189 – Would reduce number of votes necessayr to keep a minor party on ballot
- HB2128/SB2245 – Election integrity measures. (weak)
- HB2222/SB2264 – Holds officials accountable for resettled refugees
- HB2316/SB2153 – No males in girls’ sports
- HB2331/SB2558 – Auditable paper trail voting machines
- HB2454/SB2292 – Redefines “obscene” to include educational material in K-12 making it unlawful
- HB2666/SB2247 – Requires Textbook Commission to provide a list of approved material to GA members
- HB2742/SB2728 – Requires HS to teach virtues of capitalism and the constitution
A TLRC-supported bill that Representative Carringer opposed:
- HB1880/SB1830 – School boards – Freedom for public to speak
TLRC-opposed bills that Representative Carringer supported:
- HB0204/SB0136 The Crown Act- protecting ethnic hairstyles in the work place
- HB1201/SB1005Changes in campaign finance giving advantage to incumbents; limiting freedom of speech. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pK5Ov35oRxI
- HB2309/SB2464 – Allows professional licenses for illegal immigrants in Tennessee. https://tennesseestar.com/2022/04/13/tennessee-general-assembly-may-enable-illegal-immigrants-to-acquire-commercial-and-professional-licenses/
- HB2609/SB2890 – Cincinnati Reds 80% tax-break for Chattanooga farm team
- HB2886/SB2901 – Provides $500M for Titans to build new stadium
- HB8002/SB8002 – Provides $678,218,300 of taxpayer money for Ford to build an electric vehicle plant in W. TN
Corporate welfare in all forms should be opposed. Our state government should not be giving economic advantages to any public or private for-profit entities. Let the free market pick the winners and losers. If we were actually to reform our education system and to educate instead of indoctrinate, jobs would come to Tennessee. A well-educated workforce would be unique in America and every business would want to be in our right-to-work, no income tax state. Members should rethink these handouts.
Representative Carringer must always engage in the battle against bigger government and for constitutional principles. We need principled members like Lynn to battle against government expansion, to protect our tenth amendment rights, and to make good policy decisions for ordinary Tennesseans. We are in crisis. We can and must do better.
By listing these bills, we hope that tells you what you need to know about your General Assembly members. We encourage you to reach out and let them know how you feel about the various issues and VOTE accordingly. To contact members, go to: https://www.capitol.tn.gov
Average for All Members
Excludes LEA's from ability to use obscenity exception
Auditable paper trail voting machines
Recognition of natural immunity
Protection for vaccine exemptions
No restrictions on church activities in emergencies
Provides money for the Titans to build a new stadium
Requires high schools to teach the virtues of capitalism
Redefines "obscene" to include educational material
Provide taxpayer money to Ford for the construction of an electric vehicle plant